South Sudan Quick Facts
- Gained Independence in July 2011, after 40 years of bloody civil war
- Population 10.6 million (aprox)
- Only 120 physicians and 100 registered nurses in the entire country
- Greatest causes of death: diarrhea, malaria, and pneumonia
- One of the highest rates of death during pregnancy and childbirth in the world
- Of the children that survive childbirth, 1 in 10 will die before age 1.
- Only 35% of the population has access to a clean drinking water source – and this may be a mile or more from their homes.
- Life expectancy is 49 years
- In Kajo Keji, there are no paved roads, most transportation is by bicycle or by foot
You can help us change these facts! Providing basic medical care and clean water can bring hope and healing to Kajo Keji, South Sudan. Please consider how you can help today!